Sunday, March 24, 2013

Life is...

Today I feel good.

Yesterday I felt good.

Friday I felt good.

Life is good. Especially when I look at it through the right lens.

I love the Stephen & Sean Covey books and what they teach me about positive self-paradigms. One of my favorite stories I've come across is this one (read it, I beg of you!):

King Louis had been taken from his throne and imprisoned. His young son, the prince, was taken by those who dethroned the king. They thought that inasmuch as the kings son was heir to the throne, if they could destroy him morally, he would never realize the great and grand destiny that life has bestowed upon him.

They took him to a community far away, and there they exposed the lad to every filthy and vile thing that life could offer. They exposed him to foods the richness of which would quickly make him a slave to appetite. They used vile language around him constantly. They exposed him to lewd and lusting women. They exposed him to dishonor and distrust. He was surrounded twenty-four hours a day by everything that could drag the soul of a man as low as one could slip. For over six months he had this treatment--but not once did the young lad buckle under pressure. Finally after intensive temptation. They questioned him. Why had he not submitted himself to these things--why had he not partaken? These things would provide pleasure, satisfy his lusts, and were desirable; they were all his. The boy said, "I cannot do what you ask for I was born to be a king." 

I do not write this story to remind myself that dang, I am not that good, but because it reminds me who I am, why I am on Earth, what I am striving to become and how grateful I feel for my testimony of the Gospel today! Even though I have moments where I want to throw in the towel, leave this life, or just be someone I'm not, I somehow get over those moments and keep on trying. Why? Because I know God is real.

Life is good, whether or not I believe that tomorrow, it is still good.

2 comments:

  1. Amen!! We are kings and queens! Yep, all those things feel pretty dang good. I think we've gotten more than our fill. But we have no need for them any more. Not even those 'chocolate donuts', metaphorically and literally speaking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love that:-) Once we come into that knowledge of who we truly innately are it's so much easier to just stay next to the Savior. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete