Friday, March 29, 2013

Climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro

I have a cool bishop. About 6 years ago he and his wife and friends climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro. The hike took them 9 days. 9 days! Wrap your mind around that-that's more than one week doing the same thing,  with the same people; no tv or bathroom. And what do you do if you run out of chocolate? When he started telling me about the climb, it was just a story. Yet by the way he talked about it, I could tell it was a treasured memory--truly an achievement. Quickly, this fascinating story turned into quite a metaphor for me for my own journey. Here are some of my takeaways:

Hire some guides
Although an experienced hiker, bishop hired several local guides to go with them. These guides likely climb the mountain several times a year. Their bodies are acclimatized to the mountain air, they know the trails and the demands required to be successful. Bishop told me he was inspired by them. In some of his past hiking experiences with scouts, he would go ahead and then would turn around and cheer the little scounts on. But the Kilimanjaro guides didn't do that; they stayed by the newbie-hiker's side, encouraging them each step of the way.

As a good friend texted me today, "Skills for coping are critical, but so are mentors." He was referring to emotions surrounding an addiction and relying on others, but I think it ties in very well to this metaphor. When I think about guides, I think about sponsorship, and how these wonderful people are hiking side-by-side with a newbie. I think about our Savior. I cling onto faith that He is really there with me every single step. I think about my bishop(s) and their willingness to cultivate and help me aspire to have the Holy Spirit in my life.

Poli-Poli (slowly-slowly)
The hike up the mountain is a potentially dangerous one if not taken at a good pace. The local guides frequently said, "poli-poli" as a gentle reminder to the hikers to take it slow because they knew with each new height the body need to acclimatize. The air gets thin and the body literally needs to make new blood cells to increase oxygen levels.

With each new height in recovery my bottom-line creeps up a little higher and I will have periods of time where I'm out-of-breath as I come to terms with that level of commitment. Climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro is not a comfortable hike and the body experiences fatigue and headaches; how coincidental that it reacts like that with sobriety, too. Your body is not exactly the same as your hiking buddy's: you may acclimatize at a different pace than they do. Remember no matter which height of the mountain you are on: poli-poli. Don't run faster than you have strength.

Climb high, then come down and rest
I think this was the most intriguing strategy of all. Bishop's group would climb to a point higher on the mountain than they'd reached yet, only to be instructed to descend some to rest. To me, that sounds discouraging! I'd argue, "We're wasting time and energy! You're telling me I'm going to rewalk the path that I just walked?" This was actually another strategy for acclimatizing. As I understand it, as they hiked higher they were exposing their bodies to thinner air stimulating the need for blood cell back up! Then they would set up camp down in a place where it was easier to breath as they rested. By morning, they'd hope their bodies were prepared so they could successfully and more easily make the next part of their climb.

I think that moments in the temple, reading the scriptures, attending church and fervent connection with the Spirit are resting times. These moments are instrumental to our being able to "make the climb" the next day or even next hour. Recently I've felt impressed to follow some "simple" steps. I've done my best at being obedient and even had some days where I felt like I could walk 22 hours straight! I found a moment to rest and reflect everyday but the other day when it was go time again, I didn't want to leave. I lost sight of my guide and my goal and selfishly disobeyed His counsel. As a result I lost my breath, became discouraged and only saw the entire mountain! It was very overwhelming and I don't like how that feels.

Conversely, from my last week's experiences I know I'm capable of reaching those heights now. I will continue having faith in my guide, the Savior and try again today. Let's keep climbing--poli-poli.
Photo Credit


3 comments:

  1. Wow thanks for making me cry. ;) I love this and thank you for sharing. It is hard to remember that we can't ascend beyond what we are able. It's okay to go slow and steady and then the rewards are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a GREAT post. Personally, hiking Mt Kilimanjaro sounds awesome (but i'm a workout/adreneline addict too). I'm going to be pondering these principles today...1)have a guide (the sponsor!!), 2)poli-poli....day at a time, moment at a time, easy does it 3)descend to rest. I'll be honest, not quite sure how that applies to recovery but i'll still be pondering it.

    p.s congrats to your bishop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My takeaway on the descend to rest was initially thinking about efforts that others are making, heights that I haven't yet reached or am not quite prepared to reach. For example, some people go through their music, others are really good at the "3-second-rule" when it comes to inappropriate thoughts. I personally, don't believe I'm ready to reach those heights. However, there have been some higher ways of thinking that I've experimented with, but didn't beat myself up for not staying there. Instead, I got an idea of what it would be like if I was "really good at not listening to that music" but then I allow myself to step away from that and not quite commit myself to that point yet. However, this dabbling into it allows my brain and body prepare for what's in store.

      Does that make sense? That and spiritual renewal are what descending to rest mean to me.

      Delete