Saturday, March 23, 2013

It's not about chocolate donuts

My favorite part of the Ensign is the back pages where people share short stories and their testimonies of different principles of the Gospel. Whenever I read your blogs, my fellow blogging friends, it's like reading an extended edition of the Ensign. :) Your stories are inspirational and very honest. I love them!

This morning I grabbed a chocolate donut intending on eating it after my Cheerios. As I ate my cereal I pondered over the last couple of days. I started praying asking God what He would have me do today. Immediately the "answer" came, "Not eat that donut."

You have no idea how lightning quick I shut that thought process/impression down and attributed it to my own thinking, not as God answering a simple prayer. But just in case, I decided to not pray again until I had eaten that donut that way He couldn't tell me not to eat it.

Of course, I started to breakdown this whole thought process while I was eating it which didn't allow me to enjoy the donut all that much.

I am a follower of Christ. I am learning exact obedience, and desire to submit my will to His unless...

...He asks me to do something that I believe is too hard to do

...It feels better to entertain lustful and unholy thoughts

...Following a prompting will make me miss my favorite TV show

...He comes between me and my donut

You get the idea. My list can go on and on and I'm just becoming more aware of the insignificant things that I keep placing in between me and my Savior. He is so good. He is compassionate. I am nothing without Him, and am so much more whole and at peace when I center my life around Him.

It's not about the donut. This is about me recognizing that I need to give my whole self to Christ.

3 comments:

  1. Man. That is a huge breakthrough in your addictive thinking process. Awesome. I am the same way too! The question now is, watcha gonna do about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seattle I think you kinda already know. ;)
    It is so tough some of the things the Lord has asked me to give up but as I am faithful and do it I see blessings, some have taken a long time to see and others I have seen right away. It's all part of the process and seeing what the Lord will do.
    This is so huge and I am so proud of your recognition.

    ReplyDelete