Friday, January 24, 2014

Shame and Grace

These are two principles that I believe have created a positive turning point for me:

1) Recognizing shame

You have no idea how many times I have to advise myself, "Stop beating yourself up." For years over any given situation, shame could knock at my door and generally make its way into my soul. I can now recognize it's knocks, bolt the door and walk away. 


2) Learning more about Grace
I am so thankful for grace which allows me to admit I didn't meet up to my potential, and that I can try again.

If you haven't watched this yet, please do: http://a12stepjournal.blogspot.com/2013/08/brad-wilcox-his-grace-is-sufficient.html

I especially like his analogy about the parent paying the piano teacher for the piano lessons for his/her child. The child can only "pay back that debt" by practicing, and becoming better. Afterall, that's all the parent hopes for!

And does the piano teacher kick the child out as soon as he/she plays a wrong note? No! He asks that you try again, too. Practice! Practice! Practice!

3 comments:

  1. good to hear you putting those issues to words. Shame. What a strange little concept. But it tears us apart. My sponsor has really been hitting the fact home that I am an addict and that's okay. I simply have a condition where i react negatively to lust. Just like someone who eats peanuts and is allergic. They have a reaction. But we resist. Who wants to be addicted to sexual garbage??? No one. So we deny it and run away from it....and then it destroys us. Step 1 is accepting the fact and letting it go. We are not powerless over our behaviors. Or making phone calls. Or writing blog posts. You are doing that!! Which is awesome!

    And I love the try try again. And lots of practice. We are becoming better, more humble people every day that we seek after and work recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really like your thoughts about shame. It's something I still struggle with. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this! I'm really hard on myself when I make mistakes. I'm getting better at it though. Had some good realizations that will help me "bolt the door" on shame.

    ReplyDelete